Thursday 11 November 2010

I am so vexed.


Being a student, it is important to do studenty things such as partying until it kills you but not quite, being liberal and non-prejudice, learning stuff (yeah, I know right?) and protesting.
I believe that I can now tick these four studenty traits off my student trait list and I have the evidence to prove that I can:

Partying until it kills you but not quite: A few posts ago I mentioned my fun fun party I went to in London and its consequence, but also quite recently I got so shockingly fucked on alcohol that I never ever want to drink again. A friend I had only seen many moons ago (like 3 weeks) and I got to the pub at about half 6. I drank and spillt many a-bevarage on my £10 blazer (charity shop, yah) and £25 jeans. This excessive drinking led me to have awkward conversations with others I hadn't seen in a long time (as in a seriously long time!). My chosen phrase for conversation was "Oh shit, I'm so fucked, this is terribly embarrasing, you shouldn't see me in this state..." and that exact phrase was repeated throughout the night.
I then threw up when I got home at 10 and felt a little better.
It was horrible.

Being liberal and non-prejudice: I come from the leafy-green suburbs of Surrey, where everyone is merry and gay and mostly white middle-class Christian do-gooders. Somehow I imagined the whole of Britain was  just like Surrey until I was introduced to the wonderful world of Peckham and Camberwell, where white middle-class Christian do-gooders are a minority.
That's just the surrounding area.
Now when I got to art school, I recognised that this so wasn't Surrey anymore - it was so racially, religiously, sexually, class-ly diverse my head imploded at how narrow my view of Britain was.
Fuck going abroad, try art school!

Learning stuff: Sure art students don't actually 'learn' as such, they just play with glue, pens and sparkly things all day in order to create a piece that look like a six year old could've made it, except the piece requires lengthy explanations of bullshit as to why it looks like a six year old could've made it. BUT we actually do have to learn stuff too!
A few weeks ago we had to submit essays on pieces of art or design we had seen during our time at uni and what we thought of them. And to do that we had to RESEARCH using BOOKS, WEBSITES and JOURNALS. We also were required to make a BIBLIOGRAPHY according to the annal teachings of the HOLY HARVARD SYSTEM OF REFERENCING (what a bitch). Yeah, we had to use our BRAINS.
(By the way my essay was on the UK road signage; you'd be surprised at how interesting it actually is!)

Protesting: Yes being able to perform the three former student traits means you are fully qualified to protest. I went yesterday on a demo to prevent tuition fee increases and the potential privatisation of art and humanities unis/colleges as the government believes them to be low-priority subjects (yeah, cos maths and sciences are high-priority?).
We were pretty pissed off.
Well actually no we weren't really. We were having a pretty jolly time and it was dead peaceful  (we didn't know about that Millbank window breaking kerfuffle until we got home). So dead peaceful we still had time to read our texts and eat lunch whilst marching. We also made some pretty confetti out of publications handed out by a Militant Student member. Lol.
Seriously, protests seem to be a time when anyone who has any sign of some sort to come out of their activist nests and wave it proudly. For instance I saw a 'JESUS IS COMING' sign. Swear I saw a 'ROMANS - FOR SALE' sign too.

And now I can officially say I'm a student.
I can die happy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment